Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 70000529
Historic Name FORT RENO
Description of Significance FORT RENO WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1874 TO PROVIDE SECURITY IN THE CHEYENNE AND ARAPAHO LANDS. HOME AT TIMES TO BOTH THE 9TH & 10TH CAVALRY, THE BUFFALO SOLDIERS, FORT RENO SERVED IN ITS CAPACITY UNTIL 1909. AT THAT TIME, THE POST WAS CONVERTED INTO ONE OF TWO US ARMY QUARTERMASTER REMOUNT STATIONS. IN 1949, IT WAS TURNED OVER TO THE USDA FOR AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 6/22/70.
Current Name USDA GRAZINGLANDS RESEARCH LAB
Address 7107 WEST CHEYENNE STREET
City EL RENO VIC.
County CANADIAN
Lot
Block
Current Section 34
Township 13N
Range 8W
Type DISTRICT
Historic Function FORTIFICATION
Current Function AGRICULTURE
Area Signficance 1 MILITARY
Area Significance 2 EXPLORATION/SETTLEMENT
Date Prepared 1970
Year Built 1874-1920
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder US ARMY, BUILDER
Architectural Style COLONIAL REVIVAL; SPANISH COLONIAL REVIVAL; FOLK VICTORIAN
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material BRICK; STONE; CLAPBOARD
Window Material METAL; WOOD
Door Material METAL; WOOD
Decorative Details
Condition GOOD
Comments LISTED ON NATIONAL REGISTER ON 6/22/1970. EMERGENCY DEMOLITION OF BUILDING #28, CARPENTER SHOP, CONFIRMED 3/21/2019.
Restricted N